When No One Knows Your Heroine

Topics: Uncategorized

IMG_1955“Look!” I said when my contributor’s copies of the Alive Now Creativity issue landed in my mailbox. “I’m in the same book as Madeleine L’Engle!”

My husband looked at me and said, “Who’s that?”

A few hours later my son said, “Uh, I don’t know what that is, but I’m guessing it’s a famous author.”

My coworker said L’Engle’s name sounded familiar. Everyone thought her book A Wrinkle in Time might be something they’d read. Maybe. But they couldn’t quite remember.

I suppose I’m writing this post in hopes that someone out there does know one of the authors I most admire. I’m hoping others can appreciate the thrill of seeing her name on a devotional with my poem inside. And even if no one else knows of A Wrinkle in Time, I do. I also know of her non-fiction works that filled me with inspiration like A Circle of Quiet.

I love my husband and son. Sometimes it astounds me that our worlds are so different even though we live intertwined. But I suppose Madeleine L’Engle would say that she didn’t need everyone to know her in order to feel complete.  She was wise like that.

I’ll just keep on being happy knowing that her name is on the cover of that Creativity issue. I think she’d be okay with that.

About the author: Karrie Zylstra Myton is a blogger, essayist, and aspiring author who writes for the wild joy it brings on the best days and the hard lessons she learns about life on the worst. After crafting stories in the ridiculously early morning hours, she chases her two sons, cuddles with cats, and laughs with her husband about how crazy life can get in middle age.

Join 384 other subscribers

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Martha Grover June 15, 2013, 3:18 PM

Congratulations on the publishing of your work, especially in a magazine that also publishes d’Engle. It is interesting how subjects that are familiar to us as our phone number others have never heard of. It reminds me of how big the world is. Even close friends, husbands and children, don’t travel in the same particular world.

• Karrie Zylstra June 15, 2013, 4:11 PM

Thanks, Martha. It did amaze me that they’d never heard of her. I had to remind myself that I probably don’t know many of the people they admire, either.

• Elaine Marston June 15, 2013, 4:44 PM

Madeleine L’Engle has been one of my favorite authors for a very long time. I appreciate her wide range of writing, from the Wrinkle in Time series and other books for teens (such as the Arm of the Starfish) to her adult literature (Certain Women) to her non-fiction (the Rock that is Higher), just to name a few. Congratulations on being published, and being published alongside such a wonderful author!

• Karrie Zylstra June 15, 2013, 6:09 PM

Thank you for the congratulations and for letting me know you admire her, too, Elaine. I knew I wasn’t the only one:)

• Stuart Davey June 16, 2013, 12:06 AM

Congratulations on being published! I can safely say that my wife, all 6 kids, and I knew who Madeleine L’Engle is, have read the Wrinkle In Time series, and admire her greatly.

• Karrie Zylstra June 16, 2013, 3:47 AM

Somehow I knew that about you, Stuart. It’s wonderful that some people share my world.

• Shirley DeLarme June 17, 2013, 4:05 AM

I enjoyed the Crosswicks Journals.

• Jody Casella June 17, 2013, 11:39 AM

Congrats, Karrie, on your publication! Also, I do happen to know who Madeleine L’Engle was. One of the highlights of my life was meeting her at a book signing and having her sign my copy of A Wrinkle in Time.

• Karrie Zylstra June 17, 2013, 12:29 PM

Thanks, Jody. Now I’m jealous that you have a signed copy and got to meet her. But the jealousy still feels better than the blank looks from my family;)

Want to get notified about new posts? Yes, please!

%d bloggers like this: